Monday, August 1, 2011

The Extreme Clipboard Makeover Edition

Here it is.  Pinterest inspired craft #3.  I give you. . .  FANCY CLIPBOARD!


I've been seeing these really pretty clipboards and wanted to give it a try.  Here's what you need:



  • A clipboard
  • 2 pieces of craft paper
  • craft paint in a color to match your paper
  • Mod Podge (Get the matte kind, although that's not what is pictured.)
  • Ribbon
  • foam brush





First, tape off the metal clip part of the board.  Use your craft paint to paint the edges.   I've seem some of these boards unpainted, and they looked really nice so you could skip that part.  It's just the OCD in me that wants it all matchy-matchy!   If you balance it on a glass to dry you can paint both sides at the same time.  Just hold the board by the clip.

 Next, you want to make a template that's just a little smaller than your surface area and accounts for the metal clip part.  Use it to cut out the same shape on your craft paper.  For the back, you can use the same template.  Just don't cut out the cut-out section that allows for the clip. Did that make sense?

Now, I must have had a brain cloud (Name that movie!) because I forgot to  take pictures of the next couple of steps.

Once the paint has dried, cover one side of the board with Mod Podge.  Then, place your craft paper on top.  Use a credit card to smoosh it down really well.  Let that dry resting on the cup, and then do the same with the other side.  On the back of the clipboard I used there were two metal rivets up at the top.  Instead of fighting with it, I just painted the top a little lower, cut my paper, and put it on. Do make sure you cover the entire back with Mod Podge, even the painted area. It sort of seals it all in. Once it all dries, you are almost done!



All that's left to do is add the ribbon.  I just tied some matching ribbon around the clip part.  It doesn't get in the way, and looks really cute.  Overall, it wasn't a difficult craft at all.  If you search Pinterest for this project, you will find a ton more examples that are fancier and cuter than mine.  However, considering this was my first try, I'm super pleased with the outcome! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment